Friday 24 July 2009

E-commercifully finished

Its been about a week since we released World Clock 360 on the PC

Since then I've trawled the internet for every software download site I could possibly find so I could upload our app. Over forty sites later and my fingers are numb, my eyes are bleeding and I have an uncontrollable urge to "just find one more".

But I'm not going to. I'm stopping now. Its been a week of learning and of trying new things. Setting up our e-commerce site with Plimus. Making a PAD file (don't ask). Not to mention trying to reacquaint myself with html, so I can add all the tacky little banners and buttons that most of these websites insist I display on our site, in stilted, russian-accented english. Otherwise they won't accept our software. Its a bit odd how it all works.

During this time Alexa has been my one and only true friend. Its a great tool that lets me establish how popular each of these download sites actually is. That way I know how much effort (see ass-kissing) I need to put into getting our software uploaded. For example:
http://www.download.com is rated the 147th most popular website in the whole of the internet. = lots of effort for those guys.
Contrast that with http://www.safefreedownloads.com at 1,620,049. So, not so much.

Anyway, World Clock 360 is in the hands of the gods now. It was a fun 2 month project but now we have to abandon it and hope people find it amidst the vast hordes of mediocrity that make up the majority of the PC downloadable software market.

Now its time to move onto bigger and better things. Time to make some games.

No comments:

Post a Comment